Sunday, July 18, 2010

Three States

Saturday 17 July

A day of travel! It seemed such a shame to be leaving Seattle after such a short stay - I suspect this will be a theme of this trip! Jeanna looked after me brilliantly and was the perfect host and tour guide - thanks so much. She drove me back to Sea-Tac Airport for my journey to Des Moines, Iowa. This involved two flights, changing planes in Denver, Colorado.

Denver International Airport
The first flight left exactly on time and actually arrived in Denver half an hour early - just as well as I was worried that, given the schedule 40-minute layover, my baggage might not make it. The terminal at Denver was huge - I came into gate 36 and had to make my way to gate 91 - and the place was packed. The flight to Des Moines was on a small 50-seater plane and I was in seat 1A! This meant that I was first off the plane and into an almost empty airport - quite a contrast to Denver.

There to meet me were Tony and Aileen - Tony worked with my Dad in Beckenham and we have known them for over 30 years. They moved to the US 20 or so years ago and I have visited them previously in Lompoc, California and Las Vegas, Nevada.

After showing me around their beautiful house, we went to their next door neighbours' house where they were having a birthday party - with no expense spared! Good to meet some "real" Americans in an out-of-the-way place.

Looking forward to seeing more of Des Moines and around over the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment